Just for the record, as the organizer of most of the first five Conferences
from 1972 - 1977, I found it expeditious to hire recorders (professional)
who taped every session and then sold the tapes right after each session.
When you have only 350 people come to a Conference, it does not pay for the
taping firm unless they make so many sales.  In those days, the technology
was "primitive" compared to today--but College Art learned from me and then
started doing it.  In many ways, ARLIS/NA in those golden days of the 70s
taught Women's Caucus for Art and College Art a few tricks.  Perhaps
because we were so new, we learned by doing, and seemed to do it right.  Of
course, we did not have simultaneous sessions in those days--nor did we
cover the vast array of problems and solutions that you do now.  But when
human recorders do a good job, it is almost like being there, except it is
in print, not in auditory archival mode.  What I did is coalesce all the
reports and publish the record in the next issue of the Newsletter.  But
then it was a big Newsletter (more than 40 pages) and not a journal.

Have a wonderful Vancouver!

Judith

Judith A. Hoffberg                  tel.:       (310)399-1146
Umbrella                                fax:       (310)399-5070
P.O. Box 3640
Santa Monica CA 90408
http://colophon.com/journal
Let a smile be your umbrella!