Colleagues:

At a dinner party the other night an old friend who is a movie writer and
director (and in an earlier life a graphic designer) and who is relatively new
to the web was lamenting the lack of what he called "beautiful web sites."  He
went on to explain that he meant really aesthetically beautiful, not just
charming or intellectually delightful.  He said that as someone with a special
interest in graphic (and moving picture) design, he was very disappointed in
the visual aspects of the web.  I had to admit that I have also not had a
really memorable cyber aesthetic experience--but I am also relatively new to
it.

I am wondering if any of you have found sites that have delighted you
visually--in addition to or in spite of their functionality?  I know that
there is an organization of cyber artists (and even, I think, a cyber art
festival?), but I (and my friend) were thinking more about functional sites.
Seems like this is something ARLIS/NA might even want to encourage in the form
of a sort of cyber-Wittenborn-award?  Especially if the site dealt with art
information.

I wish I could nominate even one to get the ball rolling on this, but I can't.
Maybe Lois Swan Jones could suggest a few. . . .

Joan Benedetti