----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Joan, If you join the VRA Listserv, members are constantly collecting art web sites and anything visual! You could send this email request to their listserv, and also wait for the recommendations of members that come on the list regularly. We have so many URLs here; but due to my project concerns I have had little time to actually explore any of the productions, althought I intend to make time soon. URL for joining the Listserv below. http://www.oberlin.edu/~art/vra/list.html You probably know that the web is hampered by download time (beauty versus function). Something totally sumptuous on the web may be such a hefty size that it takes ages to download on the overworked network,consequently losing its audience. Web people have to be really clever about creating maximum impact with minimum file size, helped along by compression softwares (e.g.Fireworks.) The current trend is to go for the minimal look; in consideration of web traffic; as far as I know! Ciao ( or Tchaou - French style!) Jennifer >----------------------------Original message---------------------------- >Colleagues: > >At a dinner party the other night an old friend who is a movie writer and >director (and in an earlier life a graphic designer) and who is relatively new >to the web was lamenting the lack of what he called "beautiful web sites." He >went on to explain that he meant really aesthetically beautiful, not just >charming or intellectually delightful. He said that as someone with a special >interest in graphic (and moving picture) design, he was very disappointed in >the visual aspects of the web. I had to admit that I have also not had a >really memorable cyber aesthetic experience--but I am also relatively new to >it. > >I am wondering if any of you have found sites that have delighted you >visually--in addition to or in spite of their functionality? I know that >there is an organization of cyber artists (and even, I think, a cyber art >festival?), but I (and my friend) were thinking more about functional sites. >Seems like this is something ARLIS/NA might even want to encourage in the form >of a sort of cyber-Wittenborn-award? Especially if the site dealt with art >information. > >I wish I could nominate even one to get the ball rolling on this, but I can't. >Maybe Lois Swan Jones could suggest a few. . . . > >Joan Benedetti >[log in to unmask] Jennifer Brasher Image Library Supervisor Queensland College of Art Library Griffith University PO Box 84 Morningside Q 4170 AUSTRALIA Phone (61) 7 3875 3130 Fax (61) 7 33931175 Email j.brasher@mailbox,gu.edu.au