From:   Jill Patrick =5BSMTP:patrick3=40NETCOM.CA=5D
Sent:   Thursday, January 21, 1999 1:25 PM
To:     ARLIS-L=40LSV.UKY.EDU
Subject:        Re: Query: Bubbles in Art/Literature?

Sally Rand, one of America's best-known strip-tease =22artists,=22 was =
famous
for her bubble dance in the 1930s. The act included men with pins in their
canes pricking the bubble at strategic moments -- There is a great
photograph (highly retouched) of her in a full body suit leaning against a
huge bubble -- Its reproduced on Page 9 of Weekend Magazine (Saturday,
February 3, 1979) - I did the photo research for this article on =2250 Years
of Striptease=22 but can't recall exactly where the image came from -- I
obtained photographs from the Theatre Collection/New York Public
Library/Astor Lennox Tilden Foundations, from Culver Pictures and from
CP/Wide World -- I am not sure where the latter two collections are located
now. Nevertheless, any good book on Sally Rand or striptease should have
this photograph of the bubble dance.

Jill Patrick, OCAD

=3E-----Original Message-----
=3EFrom: Deborah Barlow =3Cdbarlow=40VNI.NET=3E
=3ETo: ARLIS-L=40LSV.UKY.EDU =3CARLIS-L=40LSV.UKY.EDU=3E
=3EDate: Wednesday, January 20, 1999 9:56 AM
=3ESubject: Query: Bubbles in Art/Literature?
=3E
=3E
=3E=3EDear Colleagues,
=3E=3E
=3E=3EA student is trying to find examples--either figurative or literal--of
=3E=3E=22bubbles=22 in literature or art (of any style or period). I'm =
rather
drawing
=3E=3Ea blank.
=3E=3E
=3E=3EHe has found several entries in a Shakespeare Concordance which he =
will
=3E=3Einvestigate further and I have suggested that he see what the WWW has =
=3E=3Eoffer (you never know if some bubble-fetishist out there will have a
site).
=3E=3EI've looked through our meager resources including several =
dictionaries of
=3E=3Esigns and symbols, the World Painting Index, and the Oxford Companion =
=3E=3E20th-century Literature, but to no avail.
=3E=3E
=3E=3EI'm hoping that someone out there with, perhaps, ICONOCLASS or some =
other
=3E=3Esource, like a literary concordance can site some myths, legends, =
fairy
=3E=3Etales, folklore, or other stories, or artists who may have dealt with =
this
=3E=3Etheme or image in their work.
=3E=3E
=3E=3EPlease contact me off the list.
=3E=3EThanks, in advance, for your help with this.
=3E=3E
=3E=3EDebbie
=3E=3E
=3E=3E=2A=2A=2A=2A=2A