Donald Howard's THREE TEMPTATIONS is not his dissertation (that was THE
CONTEMPT OF THE WORLD:  A STUDY IN THE IDEOLOGY OF LATIN CHRISTENDOM WITH
EMPHASIS ON FOURTEENTH CENTURY ENGLISH LITERATURE), but a 1966 Princeton
University Press book, which I read with great pleasure in college. I
remember it as mostly about Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, but it probably
ranged through Middle English literature, which was his field.  It is out of
print, but it should be possible to find it on an OP search.

Linda Zieper
University of Massachusetts Dartmouth