Sally Rand, one of America's best-known strip-tease "artists," was famous
for her bubble dance in the 1930s. The act included men with pins in their
canes pricking the bubble at strategic moments -- There is a great
photograph (highly retouched) of her in a full body suit leaning against a
huge bubble -- Its reproduced on Page 9 of Weekend Magazine (Saturday,
February 3, 1979) - I did the photo research for this article on "50 Years
of Striptease" but can't recall exactly where the image came from -- I
obtained photographs from the Theatre Collection/New York Public
Library/Astor Lennox Tilden Foundations, from Culver Pictures and from
CP/Wide World -- I am not sure where the latter two collections are located
now. Nevertheless, any good book on Sally Rand or striptease should have
this photograph of the bubble dance.

Jill Patrick, OCAD