Dear Colleagues,

I am a graduate student in B.J. Irvine's Seminar in Art Librarianship at
Indiana University.  I recently attended a workshop in New Orleans on
the identification, storage and handling of architectural records,
sponsored by the Conservation Center for Art and Historic Artifacts.  We
learned how to identify the materials and processes used for producing
both original and reproductions of architectural drawings.

Now that I have heard what conservators recommend for the storage and
treatment of architectural records (methods that require archival
materials and space that may not be readily available in many
libraries), I would like to know how art libraries with architectural
collections are dealing with this situation.  If your library's
collection includes architectural drawings, I would appreciate it if you
would take a few minutes to reply to the following questions (please
respond directly to me, Catherine Johnson at [log in to unmask],
rather than to the list):

1) Name of library: _________________________________________________

2) What types of architectural records are in your collection? (Check
any that apply)
___ Original drawings
___ Aniline ink copies
___ Albumen or salted paper prints
___ Cyanotypes (blueprints)
___ Vandyke prints
___ Ferrogallic prints
___ Aniline prints/green prints
___ Sepia prints
___ Pellet prints
___ Hectographs
___ Photostats
___ Diazo prints
___ C.B. (See-Bee) prints
___ Autopositives
___ Fixed line silver halide prints
___ Lithographs
___ Lithoprints (true-to-scale prints)
___ Electrostatic prints
___ CAD files
___ Other: _____________________
___ Reproductive process unknown

3) Do you have sufficient storage space for these materials?
For current collection:  ___ yes   ___ no
For collection in 5 years: ___ yes ____ no
Comments (e.g., additional rooms/space could become available in the
present building) : ____________________________________________________

4) Is your storage area equipped to provide controlled temperature and
humidity?
___ yes ___ no

5) What type of storage do you have?  (Check any that apply)
___ Flat
___ Rolled
___ Folded
___ Other: ________________________________

6) If your collection includes a combination of these media, are you
able to meet the various storage and conservation requirements of each
type of record? ___ yes ___ no   Comments:

7) Does your budget include funds for the purchase of archival materials
for the storage and conservation of architectural records? ___ yes ___no

8) Do you have access to a conservator who is familiar with
architectural materials?
___ yes ___ no
___ Other professional staff; please describe:________________________

9) Who is in charge of this collection?
___ Librarian
___ Curator
___ Conservator
___ Paraprofessional
___ Support Staff
___ Other

10) Who processes new accessions to the collection?
___ Librarian
___ Curator
___ Conservator
___ Paraprofessional
___ Support Staff
___ Other

11) Has this person received specialized preservation training? ___ yes
___ no
___ Other training? If so, please describe: _______________________

12) Are you able to copy materials for patrons? ___ yes ___ no.

13) Do you reformat records for preservation purposes? ___yes ___no.  If
so, do you retain the original document? ___ yes ___ no

14) Is there a written disaster preparedness and recovery plan for the
architectural records collection? ___ yes ___ no

Additional comments:

Would you prefer that I keep your responses confidential?  ___ yes ___no

Thank you for your generous help with this informal study.  Would you
like me to e-mail the results to you?  ___ yes ___no.  E-mail address:

Catherine Johnson
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN 47405