Excerpts from OutgoingMail: 22-Jan-99 Re: Query: Bubbles in Art/L.. by
=> ART S. D. [log in to unmask]
> In the current (January 1999) issue of Smithsonian magazine there is an
> article on the Italian Renaissance artist Dossi Dossi and a large
> reproduction of his painting "Allegory of Forture."  Here, the nude
> female figure of Fortune sits on a large bubble -- which is rather
> distended under the pressure -- symbolizing the brevity and fragility of
> fortune <?) -- and of most chairs perhaps.

Oops, my typo.  It's Dosso Dossi (of course).

Martin Aurand
Architecture Librarian
Archivist, Carnegie Mellon University Architecture Archives
University Libraries
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA  15213-3890

[log in to unmask] / phone: (412) 268-8165 / fax: (412) 268-7148

Carnegie Mellon University Libraries architecture subject pages:
http://www.library.cmu.edu/bySubject/Architecture/

Carnegie Mellon University Architecture Archives pages:
http://www.library.cmu.edu/Libraries/ArchArch/