When this thread appeared I recalled that I had recently seen a relevant
example.  Perhaps the appearance of this painting in a popular magazine
prompted this line of inquiry (?).  Since I think that no one else has
mentioned it...

In the current (January 1999) issue of Smithsonian magazine there is an
article on the Italian Renaissance artist Dossi Dossi and a large
reproduction of his painting "Allegory of Forture."  Here, the nude
female figure of Fortune sits on a large bubble -- which is rather
distended under the pressure -- symbolizing the brevity and fragility of
fortune <?) -- and of most chairs perhaps.

Martin

Martin Aurand
Architecture Librarian
Archivist, Carnegie Mellon University Architecture Archives
University Libraries
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA  15213-3890

[log in to unmask] / phone: (412) 268-8165 / fax: (412) 268-7148

Carnegie Mellon University Libraries architecture subject pages:
http://www.library.cmu.edu/bySubject/Architecture/

Carnegie Mellon University Architecture Archives pages:
http://www.library.cmu.edu/Libraries/ArchArch/