I would like to suggest that the conference manager post on the discussion
list notices of closed out annual conference workshops, tours, etc.
Waiting lists can maintain flexibility in the inevitable event of changed
minds regarding actual attendance.  In registering, I find it difficult to
second guess the likelihood of my being able to attend a session.  What do
others do?  Register for two events held the same day and then request a
refund if neither event fills up and you have to make a decision at the
conference?

Ruth Thomas, Boston University