Debbie,
While I was having fun with your query one of my student workers mentioned Jan
Steen as a possible  source of bubbles in art.  We do not own a book on Steen
but I have reproductions of "The Dancing Couple" at the National Gallery in
Washington and "the Artist's Family" (private collection?) that features boys
blowing soap bubbles.  I also believe "The Merry Family" at the Rijksmuseum in
Amsterdam has a boy blowing bubbles from a pipe at a window in a corner of the
painting, but the reproduction I have is too small to be absolutely sure...
You seem to have tickled a lot of bubble lovers!  Anna

Anna Bigazzi
Mortensen Library, Art Library
University of Hartford
West Hartford, CT  06117