TO:  Deborah Barlow
Sorry to post to the list, but I kept getting a "bad address"
flag when I tried to email directly.

There are at least two Chardin paintings of bubble-blowing,
if I recall my art history prelim-cramming correctly.  The
World Painting Index confirms "Blowing Bubbles" reproduced
in:  Masterpieces of Painting in the Metropolitan Museum of
Art (1970); and "Boy Blowing Soap Bubbles" in:  Maillard,
Robert--Masterpieces in the History of Painting (1961).

Bubbles are a good symbol of transience, and bubble-blowing
is the folly of emphasizing impermanent pleasures over
the good of one's immortal soul, etc., etc.  They show
up in western art whenever that method of symbolic
communication is popular.

If you'd like to contact me off-list, I'll see what else
I can find.

Linda Duychak
Reference
Kohler Art Library