Hello ARLIS and VRA subscribers,

I have been working on the enquiry below, and have recommended two costume
historians to the patron.  In case neither of them can help, I told the
patron that I would send his enquiry to the list.  Please, if you can be
of any assistance, email the patron directly at [log in to unmask] Otherwise,
I will forward your responses to him. He lives in British Columbia, Canada.

Thank you,

Ramona

Enquiry follows:

May I ask your help in locating someone (emailable) to identify a dress?

I have a black-and-white of alate-teenage girl in London, England (almost
>certainly East London, and almost certainly lower middle class or lower
>class).
>  It is circa 1898 or circa 1876.  A dear, elderly friend of mine wants to
>leave this photo and others of his family to his grandchildren.  He does not
>know if this is a photo of his mother in her youth, or his eldest sister.
>   Do you have anyone there, to whom I could Email the scanned photo, who
>would be able to pinpoint the date in the proper generation ('76 or '98)?
>   Thank you, so much, in advance.

>Jack Brauckmann

Ramona Islam, Resident Librarian
Kent State University Libraries and Media Services
June F. Mohler Fashion Library
131 Rockwell Hall, Kent, OH 44242-0001
phone:  (330)672-9500
fax:  (330)672-9578