While I would not presume to speak for either Mr. Harthill or Mr. Zula, I
believe that what  may have happened is a string of miscommunication
that has lead us to the present discussion.

Mr. Zula is a long-time member of the Society and has been a member of
GLIRT for many years.  I understood from his message that he had no
interest in being part of another list serve.  Enough said.

Mr. Harthill is a well-respected supplier of quality images to visual
resource collections.  He and his wife have been very supportive of our
profession for as long as I can remember.  Again, while I cannot speak
for him, I also don't believe that he in anyway assumed that GLIRT was
sexist.  He may not have been familiar with the round table's charter and
its mission or simply may have misinterpreted Mr. Zula's message.  I too
was initially trouble by the equation of GLIRT with sexism, but soon felt
there must have been  a misunderstanding some where along the line.

This topic has elicited a number of thoughtful responses by many
members of the Society. I  join in the invitation made by Susan Wyngaard
for members of the Society to attend the  Vancouver conference
session "When Finally Arouses: Continuing Censorship Cases in Canada
and the United States" (Monday, March 29 at 4:15pm.)  sponsored by
GLIRT and the Diversity Committee.  Censorship is a an issue all
information professionals must face.

I hope the issues raised by discussion on the list might encourage others
to join the Gay and Lesbian Interest Round Table. I hope it isn't too
obvious to state that one need not be homosexual in order to be a
member of GLIRT. Indeed many of our members simply wish part of the
search for great tolerance  and acceptance in the world.   ARLIS/NA has
always been an inclusive group and one among which I have hade some
of my dearest friends. I believe many other members of the Society  can
claim the same good fortune.  I hope that we can now put this incident
behind us and move forward.

Gregory P. J. Most
Chief Slide Librarian
National Gallery of Art