(apologies for any cross-posting)

>ARLIS NW CHAPTER
>ANNUAL REPORT
>
>DECEMBER 1998
>

>Chapter Officers for 1998/1999
>
>Carole Goldsmith                Chair
>Janet Wright                        Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect
>Jo Ann Fenton                      Secretary/Treasurer
>Stan Shiebert                        Past Chair
>Ken Chamberlain                 ARLIS/Canada Rep.
>
>Chapter Officers were elected in Fall 1997 and agreed to serve a two-year
term, to provide stable leadership until after the annual conference in
Vancouver.

>Activities
>
>NW Chapter activities in 1998 can be summed up in two words - "Conference
Planning!"  As the deadline draws ever closer, members of the local
planning committee have been increasingly preoccupied with planning for
next year’s conference in Vancouver.

>Several Chapter members were able to attend the conference in Philadelphia
in March 1998, where the NW Chapter promoted the 1999 Conference.  Local
planning committee members handed out popular miniature Canadian flag pins,
and Cheryl Siegel gave an entertaining slide show presentation on the
charms of Vancouver.

>In June, the Conference Planning Advisory Committee (CPAC) met in
Vancouver for two intense days, to look over the conference facilities and
hammer out an initial draft of the program.  Local members were grateful to
have the expertise and support of the CPAC group at this stage in the
planning process.  To attract potential conferees, Kathy Zimon initiated
the Vancouver Conference Bulletins, which were posted on both arlis-l and
carlis-l.  Marilyn Berger, Canadian Chapter representative, kindly arranged
to have the bulletins translated into French.

>On December 4, the Chapter held its annual meeting at the Seattle Art
Museum.  We were pleased to welcome two new potential Chapter members to
the meeting.  The following members gave progress reports on the
Conference: Cheryl Siegel - program; Diana Cooper & Carole Goldsmith -
local arrangements; John Cull - exhibits; Peter Grewenow & Connie Okada -
fundraising; Sheila Wallace -registration/volunteers; and Melva Dwyer &
Stan Shiebert - tours/transportation.  Danuta Zwierciadlowski (website),
Kathy Zimon (program), Brenda Peterson (fundraising) and Moira Steven
(internet room), were unable to attend, but have been working hard on their
areas of responsibility.  Local conference planning committee members are
grateful to Cheryl Siegel for keeping us on track.

>Stan Shiebert reported that the NW Chapter newsletter is defunct.  Once
the Vancouver conference is over, we would like to set up a Chapter website
and focus on attracting new members.

Carole Goldsmith                        Tel: (604) 291-3268
Reference Division                      Fax: (604) 291-3023
Bennett Library                         Email:  [log in to unmask]
Simon Fraser University                             OR
Burnaby, BC, CANADA                     [log in to unmask]
V5A 1S6