Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. ----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Jim et al, Here at Moore we have an analogous situation. Our two galleries have slide registries, the library has its own research-oriented slide collection. Several years ago, an administrator here tried to have the galleries "dump" these thousands of slides into the library. Fortunately, we didn't have the space in the slide collection to accession these, so I got the chance to work on a creative solution, which made both the gallery and our slide curator happy. I initially proposed that the library and galleries co-write a grant to fund slide scanning and database equipment--access to which would be shared--to build a computer based slide registry. Slides would be scanned into software (we initially selected Thumbs Up software) and an index to all the artists would be created so that anyone could browse work by artist, media and subject categories. To make a long story short, our galleries got a generous Museum Grant from the PA museum commission to create this mega database, and the grantors suggested that the library be left out of the proposal (we were encouraged to apply for our own scanning grant for archives...). The galleries now have one "philadelphia artist slide registry" which is browsable via computer. They have more space in their area too. The huge files of slides I believe have been moved to remote storage and are used only when the actual slides are requested. Judging by the number of calls we get at the library about the slide registry, this database solution is used often. The folks at our two galleries are happy with the arrangement, and so is the library staff. From a collection development standpoint, a Fine Arts library shouldn't be coerced into accessioning slides simply because they are "art slides" unless the work fits into the scope of what the library normally collects. Having to deal with an administration that doesn't understand this concept, I found that by emphasizing the "ease of use" that a slide registry database would create helped me win the case. Good luck with your dilemma! Judy Donovan Library Director Moore College of Art and Design Philadelphia PA [log in to unmask] Jim Lane wrote: > > ----------------------------Original message---------------------------- > Friends, > > Each of the eleven libraries within our library district contains a > gallery. A gallery manager oversees the operation and maintains a slide > registry of past, present, and future candidates for showing. > > I may be in a situation where I am asked to incorporate the slide registry > into the Fine Arts Library and out of the Gallery Manager's headquarters. > In that the FAL is a one person operation, I am a little concerned about > taking this project on given other demands. > > I am curious as to how many other art libraries out there have found > themselves in a somewhat analagous situation and how they have handled it. > Frankly, I believe the registry is more appropriately positioned in a > gallery office where it would be consulted more regularly. > > Any comments or insights would be appreciated. > > Jim > > =========================================================================== > Jim Lane, [log in to unmask] > Fine Arts Librarian > Sahara West Library > 9600 West Sahara Ave. > Las Vegas, Nevada 89117 > (702) 228-3525 > ==============================================================================