----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Jim, We, too, maintain a gallery collection for the convenience of our gallery director. In the past, we kept slides of past, present and future examples. However, as space became a problem, I had a heart-to-heart with the former gallery director which resulted in a change of policy. I reminded him of the great amount of time spent and expense artists experience in preparing and sending slides for prospective shows. I then explained the in-house logistical problems. The result of our conversation was that we now only keep slides submitted by artists whose work we are showing or have shown. All others are sent back to the artist in a self-addressed, stamped mailer which must be forwarded with the slides being considered. This cut the incoming material dramatically! It also allowed the artists to reclaim their slides for submission to another show, saving them considerable time and money. Then I went through our holdings and pulled the slides of any artists we never exhibited and either sent them back or deaccessioned them (i.e. tossed them out) when I could not locate the submitter. As part of this exercise I discovered that the gallery director reviewed potential exhibitors' slides only rarely. Yet there were many more "potentials" than artists who had actually shown their work here. Related to this, I created a separate Gallery section in the collection after the 20th century division. The filing system is by artist's last name only--regardless of medium. We leave the artist's original label in tact if legible. If not, we follow their format and type a new one. These slides are not accessioned into the art history teaching collection at this time. The simplified filing system is how the director (and the rest of our faculty) knows the works, how they are listed in exhibition catalogs and it allows the gallery director and his assistant or work/studies to find what they seek quickly and efficiently, minimizing patron services. By leaving original labels in tact where it is feasible, if the director decides to deaccession any in the future, they can be sent back to the artist in their original condition in the original mounts. It may not be a perfect system, but it really works well for us! Good luck! Pat Radford, Curator Visual Resources Library Department of Art Oklahoma State University