For those of you in universities--

We are attempting to develop "Baseline Subject Competencies for the
Academic Reference Desk" similar to those listed in the article of this
title by Benefiel, Miller & Ramirez (Reference Services Review, Spring
1997, 83-93. If any of you have developed such competencies at your
institution--in *any* subject--I would love to have a copy. Most
pertinent to our situation would be competencies expected of personnel
working at a general reference desk in a university, both librarians and
support staff. I'll be happy to compile and communicate the results if
others are interested.

Edith Crowe
San Jose State University