     Hello all:  thanks for you help.  Several of you found the quotation
     "We shape our buildings..." listed as being quoted in Time Magazine.
     After I wrote you all, I also found this citation and pulled the Time
     Magazine issue, where it was indeed quoted, but no place or time was
     given.  So I did a little more looking on the web, found a site called
     the "Churchill Center" and contacted their editor.  Here is the answer
     from the Churchill Center itself:

     Dear Ms Williamsen,
     Piece of cake! It's one we're asked all the time...

     "On the night of May 10, 1941, with one of the last bombs of the last
     serious raid, our House of Commons was destroyed by the violence of
     the enemy, and we have now to consider whether we should build it up
     again, and how, and when. We shape our buildings, and afterwards our
     buildings shape us. Having dwelt and served for more than forty years
     in the late Chamber, and having derived very great pleasure and
     advantage therefrom, I, naturally, should like to see it restored in
     all essentials to its old form, convenience and dignity."

     -28 October 1943 before a meeting of the House of Commons, which had
     met in the House of Lords since the Commons chamber was bombed in May
     1941. The old House of Commons was rebuilt in 1950 in its old form,
     remaining insufficient to seat all its members. Churchill was against
     "giving each member a desk to sit at and a lid to bang" because, he
     explained, the House would be mostly empty most of the time; whereas,
     at critical votes and moments, it would fill beyond capacity, with
     members spilling out into the aisles, in his view a suitable "sense of
     crowd and urgency."

     Best wishes

     Richard M. Langworth
     Editor, FINEST HOUR
     The Churchill Center
     www.winstonchurchill.org

     Thanks again, all.  Tora

     Tora Williamsen
     Oklahoma State Univ. Architecture Library
     201-A Aarchitecture Bldg.
     Stillwater, OK 74078
     email:  [log in to unmask]