I saved an Assoc. Press article on the unveiling of the Longstreet
statue at Gettysburg that came out quite soon after the last
time we had this discussion.  It states: "One hoof off the ground means
the soldier was wounded in the July 1983 Civil War battle; two raised
hooves signifies death in action."  However, it continues by stating that
although the Longstreet statue shows the horse with one hoof off the
ground "he (Longstreet not the horse) was not hurt on the field."
In other words, Stephanie Sigala probably has it right; there really is no
symbolic meaning to the placement of the horses' feet.

Susan Lentz
Arts Library
University of Calif.
Santa Barbara, CA 93106