Dear Colleagues,

As has been the case in every library I've ever worked, the students are
clammering for more Library hours of operation. Currently, during Fall and
Spring Semesters, my Library is open 60.5 hours per week per the schedule
below:
        Monday - Thursday       8:30am - 8:00pm
        Friday                  8:30am - 5:00pm
        Saturday                10:00am - 4:00pm
We extend the hours somewhat during the final two weeks of school (open
'til 10pm Mon-Thurs, 6pm on Fri and Sat, and 1-5 on Sundays) and abbreviate
the hours somewhat during Summer Sessions and Winter Break (Mon-Fri 9-5).
The Library, which has around 20,000 volumes, serves a patron base of
approx. 340 full-time students, 1000-1500 part-time/continuing ed.
students, 120 faculty, and about 140 Museum and School staff. The Library's
staff consists of 2 full-time employees (myself and a para-prof), 1
part-time Lab Tech who covers our Saturday hours and some evenings (i.e.
6-20hrs/wk as her day job permits), and approximately 6 part-time student
assistants (7-10 hrs/wk each, when they show).

I would be interested in hearing from other Art & Design School Library
Directors about what hours they are open. If you could supply information
similar to that above, I'd appreciate it, so that I can make viable
comparisons. I'd like to expand our hours, but feel I really don't have the
staff to do it. (It would be great if the stats worked out so that they
provide a good argument for more full-time staff.)

Please reply to me directly.

Thanks, in advance.

Debbie

*****