Yes, we too installed a 3M self-checkout system and are now placing the
barcodes on the outside of the book.  3M has some recommendations for
location of the barcode and a template.  Even if your collection is
non-circulating placing the barcodes on the outside is a good idea for
doing an inventory.

Karen Kinney
San Diego State Univ.