At San Diego State University we have security cameras in our library
addition; however the stacks and periodicals collection are in our "old"
building.  Since we don't have the staff to watch the monitors, we are not
catching people in the act of stealing or vandalising materials.  Since we
don't know how much vandalism and theft was going on before, we don't know
whether the cameras have had a deterrent effect.

You may wonder why we don't have cameras in the stacks.  In the California
State University system, libraries get a significant amount of money for
equipment for new buildings, so we could afford cameras for the addition,
but not the old building.  At the time we were planning the addition, we
did want to have staff  watching  the monitors intermittently, but when the
building was completed, we did not hire additional staff for that purpose.

Karen Kinney

At 12:13 PM 12/7/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Since vandalism is a serious problem that we all face, I think it would be
>beneficial for replies to Jeff's original message about security cameras
>and other related responses be posted to the list, rather than off-list.
>
>Joy Kestenbaum
>Art & Architecture Librarian
>Pratt Institute
>
>On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Jeffrey M. Salem wrote:

We're