This is the posted electronic reference form & policy at the General
Libraries, Univ. of Texas at Austin:

"UT Library Online - Electronic Reference Form

A service for students, faculty and staff of UT Austin for asking short,
factual questions. To consult a librarian call for an appointment or visit
the library.

If you are not affiliated with UT Austin, expect a reply only about unique
resources of the General Libraries.

UT Austin ID Number (leave blank if not affiliated with UT Austin):

Name:

Email Address (will reply by email only):

Forward this question to:

Question:

To ensure privacy, clear screen after sending message."

I don't always have time to get back to non-UT folks right away, but I
eventually respond even just to send them a copy of our policy and refer
them to a library closer to home.  We do have unique collections in some
areas so there are times (less than half-a dozen per month) when I will
spend considerable time following-up on a request.  Most of my questions
from UT students can be answered quickly, by refering them to appropriate
indexes and subject terms or to a particular source.  I must admit that
over the last year there has been a gradual increase in e-mail
questions---but that's partly my own doing, since I promote the service
during orientations & bib. instruction sessions.

Best,

Janine Henri

>Dear Colleagues,
>
>        At the Ryerson & Burnham Libraries, we recently moved our
>"ask-a-reference-librarian" from a straight e-mail link on our Web Site to
>a form-based query page.  We were hoping to reduce the number of requests
>by requiring certain information, but it did the exact opposite. Requests
>have skyrocketed in the past couple of weeks.
>                Generally we treat e-mail requests like phone requests, but
>perhaps a new policy needs to be found.  I am curious about other
>institution's solutions to some of the problems we have come across.  If
>you provide e-mail reference service what is your policy for answering
>these questions?  Do you require the patron to be a member or student at
>your institution?  Do you have limits on what you will answer?  We would be
>grateful for any experience you can offer.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Marcy Neth

>Marcy Neth, Senior Reference Librarian  e-mail: [log in to unmask]
>  Ryerson and Burnham Libraries         phone:  312-443-3936
>  The Art Institute of Chicago          fax:    312-443-0849
>  111 S. Michigan Ave.
>  Chicago, IL  60603-6110

Head Librarian
Architecture & Planning Library