I also have frequently received the question regarding the position of
the horse's legs in an equestrian statue.

On June 21, 1949, the BALTIMORE SUN (newspaper), ran an article,
"Monummental Error?" I quote from the article:

"An army spokesman in Washington declared that [the idea of the horses
feet signifying anything is] a popular but unsubstantiated rumor.

It is true...that the rumor pops up frequently, but there is nothing in
army historical records to support it...The curators of the Baltimore
Museum of Art and the Walters Art Gallery pooh-pooh the idea. Said
Marvin C. Ross of the Walters, 'Somebody made that up.'"

I further checked with the sculptor curator of the National Museum of
American Art, George Gurney; he has never found a factual basis for this
rumor.

Joan Stahl, National Museum of American Art

Joan Stahl, National Museum of American Art: Room 331,
Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC 20560
(e-mail)[log in to unmask]  (voice) 202-357-1348