We are about to embark on a task which could turn into a major project.
Before we do so, I should appreciate any advice ARLIS-L-ers can give
which would help us to avoid re-inventing the wheel.

1.  Identify the major pictorial magazines such as Look, Life or Ebony
for the period 1940-1972, in which the emphasis was on the
[photographic] illustration rather than the text.  We are particularly
interested in those using colour photography.

Titles from North America or Great Britain are relatively easy to
identify, although if anyone can recommend a good bibliography, that
would be wonderful.

Harder to trace, and of great interest, are titles from other countries
such as India, Japan, South America, Egypt and the countries of the
former USSR.

Bibliographies or individual title recommendations would both be very
welcome.

2.  A related question is to identify the first use of colour
photography for a photo-essay.

Please reply to me at the address below.

Many thanks

J. Margaret Shaw
Chief Librarian
National Gallery of Australia Research Library
GPO Box 1150
Canberra ACT 2601
Australia

Telephone: 61-(0)2-6240 6532