We are currently microfilming 75 years of The Museum of Modern Art press
releases.
This is a comprehensive collection of primary documents on the history
of MoMA,
and therefore also on modern art and its reception in the U.S.   In
addition to the usual
information one would expect in press releases there are often essays,
statements,
the text of wall labels and other original text by prominent art
historians, especially
Alfred H. Barr, Jr., the founding director of MoMA.  Many checklists of
exhibitions,
for which no catalogs were published, are also included.

We are discussing with a commercial firm the possibility of having the
microfilm digitized
and marketing the files as a CD-ROM with a search engine.  Could the
readers of ARLIS-L
help us assess the demand for such a product.  Is it too MoMA-centric?
We haven't
yet addressed minor issues such as pricing, but I would appreciate any
advance feedback,
especially in response to the question, would you, in theory, be
interested in purchasing
such a product?

Thank you in advance.

Daniel Starr
Chief Librarian, Technical Services and Planning
Museum of Modern Art Library
11 W. 53 Street
New York, NY  10019

212-708-9440