So far this is what I have saved on the subject.  I know I have missed at
least one posting.

Reply to:   RE: image of the art historian

From           Bobbie Xuereb <[log in to unmask]>
Date           Thu, 24 Sep 1998 12:42:39 EDT

Heidi Chronicles. by Wendy Wasserstein. The lead was an art historian.

Bobbie Xuereb
Librarian
Ray Kroc Middle School
5050 Conrad Avenue
San Diego, CA 92117
bxuereb=40mail.sandi.net

From           Polly Trump <[log in to unmask]>
Date           Mon, 28 Sep 1998 17:35:36 EDT

Aaron Elkins also writes a mystery series with an art historian named Chris
Norgren as the protagonist.

Polly Trump
Electronic Resources Trainer
San Antonio Public Library
600 Soledad Street
San Antonio, TX 78205
Phone:  210/207-2563     Fax:  210/207-2508

Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 13:11:22 EDT
From: "Robert A. Baron" <[log in to unmask]>

One should not let this thread pass by without citing the ghost stories of
M.R.James, whose protagonists are usually medieval scholars, including
historians of illuminated manuscripts and other medieval products.
M.R.James, of course, is most famous for his edition of the Apocryphal New
Testament and for several monographs on medieval manuscripts.

Another item to consider is the recent novel by John Banville based on the
life of Anthony Blunt. (_The Untouchable,_ NY, Knopf, 1997.)

r.baron

Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 11:13:29 EDT
From: Amy Ciccone <[log in to unmask]>

Iain Pears has written a series featuring Jonathan Argyll, a young art
historian based in Rome.  Also, in the 80s Carolyn Coker wrote several
books with a paintings conservator as the protagonist, who of course had an
art historical background.   John Malcolm's series about Tim Simpson, who
acquires art for the art investment fund of a British bank might also
quality.  I can't remember if Simpson has an art history degree or not, but
he is certainly portrayed as being very knowledgeable about English art
history (and he was a rugby player in university); his wife is a curator at
the Tate, although she is a supporting character.

Amy Navratil Ciccone
University of Southern California
Doheny Memorial Library
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0182
213-740-1958 (voice)
213-749-1221 (fax)

Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 17:06:20 EDT
From: Miranda Haddock <[log in to unmask]>

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned -

How about Dr. Postiglione in "The Sixteen Pleasures" by Robert Hellenga?
There is also a young woman art historian in the book - I think her name is
Mary or Molly, too.

Miranda Haddock
Western Michigan University

The Vicky Bliss series by Elizabeth Peters.  It is a mystery series.

Linda Andrews

Linda Andrews
Reference Librarian
Hamon Arts Library