----------------------------Original message---------------------------- ------------------ Please forgive duplicate posting to ARLIS and VRA. Below is the text of a letter from Stephen Kaplan, Rector of Altos de Chavon School of Design in La Romana, Dominican Republic. Altos de Chavon is = affiliated with, but not funded by, Parsons School of Design. An agreement exists = between the schools which allows third year students to apply as degree students to Parsons, completing their degrees in New York City. Each year 12 - 18 = students begin as juniors at Parsons, most on full scholarships. Over a period of years, and especially during the last three, the Adam and Sophie Gimbel Design Library has aggressively contributed materials and equipment to the library at Altos de Chavon. The Dominican Republic is a = country in which all library materials are precious. Highly specialized resources = are even more highly prized. I have been particularly proud to be able to = arrange significant donations to Altos de Chavon. Working with Dominican students enrolled at Parsons, the Gimbel Library has been able to supply materials = that fill a recognized need. The Library had become one of the =22jewels=22 of = the Altos campus. Yesterday hurricane Georges destroyed the library building and its = collections of books, serials, magazines and slides. The Rector, alumni, students and administrators are devastated. After speaking with Mr. Kaplan, I volunteered to post his text to the = art/design and VRA communities in an effort to begin to rebuild the library. The areas of study at Altos are: Fashion Design, Fine Arts, Illustration, Interior Design and Graphics Design. Materials in these fields, as well as their allied and support studies were the basis of the library. The library housed materials in all languages. Mr. Kaplan has sent out the following letter to individuals associated = directly with the school, I am sending this to the art/design library and VRA = communities with the knowledge that we understand what a blow this loss has = delivered--and will continue--to deliver to the mission of this exceptional school. Stephen Kaplan, Altos de Chavon School of Design, Parsons School of Design, = and I will be grateful for any materials which can be given to begin to = reconstruct this collection. Clayton Kirking Director Adam and Sophie Gimbel Design Library Parsons School of Design Rector Kaplan's text follows. Dear Friends of Altos de Chavon, No doubt you have heard of the devastation hurricane Georges caused to the Caribbean. The Dominican Republic received the storm full force and La = Romana was devastated. The School of Design suffered a direct hit. Although the buildings still stand, there has been great damage. It seems as if classes = will not be able to be resumed for two to three weeks. There is no water, electricity, nor phone service at this time. The airports are closed. The saddest loss at Chavon was our library. The roof blew off the building = and the books were destroyed by wind and rain. It took seventeen years to build = what many called the best art and design library in the Caribbean. Those of you = who have used the library at Altos de Chavon know what a great resource it was. We are asking all of our friends, alumni, former artists-in-residence, our lecturers, and suppliers to consider making a donation to help rebuild the collection. Donations of books =5Bmagazines, slides=5D or money are tax deductible....Send or drop off donations at Parsons School of Design, 66 = Fifth Avenue, 6th Floor, New York, NY 10011. If you are donating a large number= of books =5Bor materials=5D, call us and we will have them picked up or pay the shipping charge to get them to Parsons. Sincerely, Stephen D. Kaplan Rector The Altos de Chavon School of Design