----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Dear CDG colleagues: I had hoped to put together a discussion of issues relative to visual resources for the next meeting of the art catalogers in New York. Alas, for a variety of reasons, that can't happen in September. It is a little early for a report on the evaluation of VISION (the testbed of the VRA core categories). The database in the NYU School of Art and Art Professions which uses EmbARK software blew up (not EmbARK's fault). There are three VR curators at NYU and I had hoped to enlist their support for this demonstration and discussion, but we'll have to postpone it. Meanwhile, September 14th was the suggested date for the next CDG and I'd like to suggest a potpourri gathering and hope it won't be too unfocused. Some starters are listed below. So join me at NYU's Bobst Library Room 1135 on Monday, 14 September 1998, at 3 p.m. Coffee and cookies will be provided. Bobst Library is the 12-story red stone building by Philip Johnson on the Southeast corner of Washington Square. If you want subway instructions, please ask. When you arrive at Bobst, the guards will have a list of expected attendees based on your RSVPs. Go to the right elevator (express to floors 11 and 12). Room 1135 is to your left and then right down the corridor in the Libraries administrative suite (it's the room we've met in before). Please RSVP by September 10th to [log in to unmask] or 212-998-2462. Hope to see you at the discussion. Sherman Clarke STARTERS: BLURRED PHOTOGRAPHS & LCSH CANDIDATE TERMS In mid-August, I sent out a note about subject analysis for intentionally blurry photographs. I did not find an adequate term to categorize it and did a 653 on my record for FUZZY PHOTOGRAPHS (the term used in the book in question) along with some more general LCSH terminology. Danny suggested, and Liz concurred, that you would *just* give it PHOTOGRAPHY, ARTISTIC and he further said that MoMA uses PHOTOWORKS for photographs that are more like paintings or drawings. AAT does not seem to address blurred photographs. Someone else suggested MARGINAL PROCESSES or CLARITY. I had looked without luck under focus and other terms that might have talked about the process more than the resulting photographs. Did I prepare an LCSH candidate form? No, but it was partly because there was no consensus in the sources in which I searched. LCRI FOR UNIFORM TITLES FOR NAMED WORKS OF ART Do we need to re-create the research? Works of art which are currently established in the Subject Authority File have 670s justifying the heading. If one is to move the heading to NAF, can the record be simply copied, or should one examine the sources to see if the RI is being followed? HEADINGS FOR BUILDINGS Ken Dinin forwarded to the CDG list a message on headings for buildings that he had sent to the Cataloging Policy and Support Office, along with their response. I sent in a response to CDG, to which Ken responded. Any further discussion of this topic, especially relative to our earlier discussion at the Whitney CDG in June? The minutes of that discussion are at http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/9783, along with reports on other CDGs. WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN THE SYSTEM IS DOWN? Do you have a backup system? Does RLIN or OCLC provide adequate backup for a local catalog? What do you tell users? What do you do if most of your time is usually spent on the system? What do you do with the other catalogers if you have them? CORE RECORDS FOR EXHIBITION CATALOGS The ARLIS/NA Cataloging Advisory Committee is beginning to discuss the viability of a core standard for exhibition catalogs. There are more and more records BIBCO records, both full and core, available. Has anyone seen a core record for an exhibition catalog? One potential stumbling block is the possible requirement for an LCC or DDC classification number. ALA Anything from ALA to pass on? N.B. For those of you who want to stay downtown after the meeting, the opening reception of the Maya Lin exhibition at Grey Gallery, NYU is from 7 to 9 p.m. The exhibition actually opens on September 1st and runs through October.