Elizabeth, hi!
Another possible search avenue on the garden issue is to look at the
National Agriculture Library's collection. They have a bibliographic
database called
Agricola (AGRICulture OnLine Access; Latin for "farmer") that indexes
articles from all the
gardening/agriculture/veterinary journals since 1982. It's not full text
but it is international in scope.  The catalog of
their collection is also searchable. And if you find what you need you
can get document delivery. Go to www.nal.usda.gov/. Good luck!
Regina
Regina S. Moore ([log in to unmask])
Assistant Director, Kent County Public Library
408 High Street, Chestertown, MD 21620
(410) 778-3636