----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Dear Members: Part of the Executive Board's responsibility is to ensure the efficient and effective management of the Society. For the past five years ARLIS/NA has employed Olson Management Group, Inc. (OMG) of Raleigh, NC as our management service provider. OMG was the second firm used by ARLIS/NA; prior to that we employed a member Executive Director who utilized a management firm as support. As many of you are aware, ARLIS/NA renegotiates its management fee with OMG every year to take effect at the beginning of our fiscal year. The negotiation involves the kind and level of services provided as well as, of course, the management fee. It has been five years since the entire range of the Society's management options had been thoroughly reviewed. The Executive Board, after much thought and discussion, has decided to issue a Request for Proposal (RFP) in order to determine what new services might be available to us to move the Society into the new century. The RFP will be sent to a selected group of professional management providers and individuals. We expect to gather information and evaluate proposals in time to make a decision following the annual conference in Vancouver. This timetable will ensure that if transition is necessary, it can be accomplished by June 30 without jeopardizing the Society's operations. The opportunity to review management options coincides well with changes occurring at OMG itself. You may recall that last spring it was announced that Mike Olson, founder and owner of OMG, had accepted a most prestigious position as President of the American Society of Association Executives. He decided to sell OMG (which will keep its name) and the new owners will be determined by the end of September. Mr. Ralph Marlatt has assumed the responsibilities as CEO and is working closely with the Board to assure continuity of service and satisfaction. At present the Board and OMG have agreed to continue its relationship through June 30, 1999, and possibly beyond that. Penney DePas, CAE, our Executive Director for five years, is in high demand at OMG. Her senior level of experience and expertise is critically important with some newer clients of OMG. We have therefore agreed to change Executive Directors. The Executive Board greatly appreciates Penney's devoted service to ARLIS/NA and we wish her every success with her new challenges. Starting October 1, 1998, Ms. Ashley Prather will serve as the new ARLIS/NA Executive Director. The rest of OMG's fine ARLIS/NA staff, including Ms. Cheryl Weisz, Conference Manager, will remain the same. Access to the staff will also remain the same (telephone, fax, email, etc.) ARLIS/NA will be Ashley's only Executive Director responsibility, although she will retain other responsibilities to other OMG clients. We anticipate a very smooth transition. The Board will be working diligently throughout the next few months to guarantee that the review of OMG and the RFP process is thorough, thoughtful, and in the best interest of the Society and its membership. I welcome any comments. Mary Graham President, ARLIS/NA Mary Graham Head, Library Division Arizona State Museum University of Arizona Tucson, AZ 85721-0026 520/621-4695 520/621-2976 fax