Dear Arlis/NA members,

I can use all the tips I can get!

In a moment of weakness, I agreed to do a Web training class on finding
images on the Web through the University's Information Technology dept.
Although the classes are scheduled for late October, registration is
already underway and I find the registrants represent quite an
array of disciplines.  To date, I have read some recent articles
describing search engines' retrieval of images by scanning URLs for
.gip, .jpg, and .alt.  Has anyone been successful using the search
engines to locate pictures? Has anyone found a pretty reliable method
such as field searching?

I have been using Yahoo! for the sciences and have found some good
metasites, aka lists of links, for astronomy,
botany, chemistry, and food, and, of course, U Texas has given us their
terrific maps site.  I also have many clip art links. I feel pretty
confident about art with the exception of lesser known contemporary
artists.

Has anyone done a similar class?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone may provide.  I am happy to share
my "finds" following the classes next month.

Ruth Thomas, Art History
Mugar Memorial Library
Boston University