Forwarded from the NINCH list.

Judy

From:   INTERNET:[log in to unmask], INTERNET:[log in to unmask]
To:     Multiple recipients of list, INTERNET:[log in to unmask]

Date:   7/27/98 12:44 PM

RE:     ACLS/NINCH ORGANIZING MEETING FOR DISCIPLINE-BASED "BUILDING BLOCK" INVESTIG

NINCH BULLETIN
July 27, 1998

ACLS/NINCH ORGANIZING MEETING FOR DISCIPLINE-BASED "BUILDING BLOCK"
INVESTIGATIONS: JULY 28
<http://www-ninch.cni.org/projects/building/1.html>

Members might be interested in the agenda and background material for a
meeting of learned societies that NINCH is coordinating with the American
Council of Learned Societies this Tuesday July 28. The meeting is designed
to assist the societies begin a process of deep thinking about their
disciplines (what are their chief intellectual and methodological issues;
how do scholars, teachers, librarians and publishers within the field
study, represent, teach, organize and create knowledge?) as a first step
towards systematic planning for effective development and use of the
digital environment.

We propose a set of four or five parallel workshop series with their own
final reports, a cross-discipline report and a phase-two engagement with
computer scientists and engineers to explore how humanists and scientists
can work together to create new tools and new vehicles that can use the
potential of digital technology more effectively than they are currently
doing.

This series should prove a worthy response to the challenge issued by ACLS
President John D'Arms in a recent address at a meeting of the Association
of Research Libraries:

"Still, hard conceptual thought within the broader Humanities
community...needs to go on before we can speak with full confidence about
how humanistic scholarship will be conducted in the brave new world
sketched out by the more visionary of this meeting's speakers. Hard
thought, discipline by discipline, about what, substantively and
methodologically, is at the heart of what we do. Hard work in persistently
rethinking traditionally categories, in order to be confident when we
reaffirm...their enduring value. Hard work, finally, to better inform the
computer scientists and engineers, who have to date designed most of our
technology, what the Humanities, in essence, are and how we Humanists
conduct our scholarship."

The webpage for this organizing meeting can be found at
<http://www-ninch.cni.org/projects/building/1.html>