In our Library when staff are able to confront a student cutting a
magazine, we use a "Library Incident Report" which reports students
defacing materials or attempting to steal materials.  The report states
that there is a charge of $65.00 an item.  The form has a space for date,
time, student name, phone and ID number,declared major Art Department,
Library Staff initials.
Following that is space for a description of the incident.  The Library
Director must follow up with a call to schedule a meeting with the
student.  Space is provided to record a description of the conversation.
Then a space for the resolution: for example, loss of borrowing privileges
for the semester of the incident, payment of fine, or more severe
punishment as determined by the Grievance Committee who receives a copy of
the completed Library Incident Form.  This form is also sent to the Art
Department Director.