The following information comes from the ***1990*** ARLIS /NA Salary
Survey.  Note the date!!!

Salary by Region  Table 2.1.2.D page 7  "Primarily Visual Collections"
(I am reporting median salary only)
South     $27,000
Midwest   27,399
Nowtheast  30,000
West        31,000

Table 2.1.3.D.  Salary by parent institution primarily visual
collections, page 9
Academic     29,873
Art and Design   25,833
Museum     29,873

Table 2.2.1.D.  Salary by highest library degree primarily visual
collections, page 11
None       26,888
Masters   31,000

Table 2.2.2.F.  Salary by highest arts degree primarily visual
collections, page 14
None     29,639
Bachelors     30,887
Masters    29,200   "An odd negative effect of the arts Masters may also
be seen in visual resources collections."

I checked the most recent "Occupational Outlook Handbook" and compared
it with the 1990 issue.  Taking average starting salaries for librarians
as the only point at which I could compare apples to apples, salaries
have increased 20% during the time period between 1990 and 1998.

Hope this helps.

Nancy Mactague, Director:  Resource Center
Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design
6875 E. Evans Ave.
Denver, CO 80224
(303) 753-6046 x 127.  Fax (303)759-4970.

"Archaeology provides the framework for art history." Munby, 1977