I am new to this list but I know that there has been an active
discussion recently about the mutilation of periodicals.  I am
currently investigating ways of protecting, replacing, and
reformatting vandalized and mutilated art exhibition catalogs.

I manage a large circulating collection of art books in a University
library that serves many disciplines, including Art.  A large number
of the art books are maliciously damaged, having their plates
torn or cut out or otherwised defaced.

I know this is a widespread problem and I would like to hear from people
who have dealt with this problem successfully.  We have some policies
and procedures in place, but they don't seem to be working.  I'm curious
to hear about creative measures that anyone has taken to protect
art material.  Also, has anyone had success reformatting these materials
to avoid future damage?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Please respond to me directly at:

Thanks for your help!

Don Juedes
Humanities Bibliographer