Maryland being the most recent example).

A few years ago the Cataloging Section proposed a conference session
on appropriate training for this.  Is Rebecca's example indicative of a
trend that might be examined by ARLIS/NA's Cataloging Section, perhaps
in conjunction with the Standards and Professional Development
Committees?

Roger Lawson
National Gallery of Art Library

>>> Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]> 07/21/98
12:06am >>>

Topic of the day:

  1. Job opening

Date:    Mon, 20 Jul 1998 09:24:08 -0400
From:    "Rebecca D. Steel" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Job opening

Get your cataloger pronto! The Library Schools are dropping the courses
(in Michigan anyway)! Sincerely,

Rebecca D. Steel, Librarian
Kalamazoo Inst. of Arts Library
314 S. Park St.
97-98 temp. address: KIAnnex, 458 W. South St.
Kalamazoo, MI  49007-5102
(616) 349-7775
FAX: 349-9313
email: [log in to unmask]
http://www.kia.iserv.net

----------
> From: Ann Abid <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Job opening
> Date: Friday, July 17, 1998 9:58 AM
>
>         HEAD CATALOGER
>
> The Cleveland Museum of Art's Ingalls Library seeks an experienced
Head
> Cataloger to supervise and perform original and copy cataloging of art
> historical monographic and serial materials in all formats.  Interested
> applicants should be committed to the function and importance of a
> state-of-the-art cataloging operation  in the context of an automated,
> independent research library that serves a curatorial and academic
> community.  The Cataloging Department environment includes individual,
> networked workstations.  In addition to traditional cataloging
procedures,
> the Head Cataloger is expected to oversee the Library's ArtNACO
> participation, accommodate the duties and procedures of the
Cataloging
> Department to periodic software and network upgrades.    The position
> reports to the Head Librarian, supervises 1.5 FTE professionals and 2
FTE
> paraprofessionals,  and provides the opportunity to interact with other
> librarians who specialize in acquisitions, systems, public services,
> serials, archives and visual materials.
>
> Qualifications: Candidate must have an accredited MLS;  an
undergraduate
or
> graduate major in art history is desired but significant cataloging
> experience in the humanities will be considered; a minimum of 5 years
of
> experience in a research library with at least 3 years of recent
cataloging
> experience including staff supervision and evaluation; departmental
budget
> preparation; thorough knowledge of cataloging principles and
procedures
> including AACR2, USMARC, LCSH; and experience with automated
library
> systems.  Experience with online bibliographic utilities (RLIN
preferred);
> integrated library systems (Ameritech Library Services preferred); and
the
> Windows environment is desired, as are the working knowledge of 2
or more
> Western European languages and familiarity with the literature of art
history.

> Salary: From $33,000, commensurate with experience; 35 hour work
week;
> excellent benefits.
>
> Applications will be considered until position filled.  Send letter of
> application, resume, transcripts, salary history, and 3 references to:
> Nancy Foster, Manager of Human Resources, The Cleveland Museum
of Art,
> 11150 East Blvd., Cleveland, OH 44106. EOE, M/F/D/V.
>
> Environment: Cleveland is located on the southern shore of Lake Erie.
The
> area offers a quality and depth of culture and entertainment that few
> cities can match.  The Cleveland Museum of Art houses distinguished
> collections of more than 30,000 objects from a wide range of cultures
and
> art historical periods.  It is located in University Circle, home to
other
> renowned institutions such as the Cleveland Orchestra, Case Western
Reserve
> University, the Cleveland Institute of Art and the Cleveland Clinic. The
> museum's 230,000 volume Ingalls Library is among the 5 largest art
museum
> libraries in the country and is nationally and internationally
acknowledged
> as a major research collection. In addition to supporting research and
> publication on the museum's collections, the library serves the art
history
> graduate students and faculty at Case Western Reserve University as
well
as