                DIRECT ALL RESPONSES TO
                Subject: on-screen nude

I am a film studies instructor who recently began offering a
course entitled "Controversial Cinema."  A recurring source of
controversy that both I and my students brought up involved
the disparities that exist when the male and female bodies are
displayed in love scenes in contemporary films.  I am visiting
this Art Librarians list in search of discerning people versed
in the history of the artistic display of the body, who would be
willing to answer eight research questions on a topic that might
make you blush. My intention is not to shock anyone, but to
gather comments from individuals who are likely to enjoy
watching films and talking about them. I do not wish to create
an unrelated thread on this list; rather anyone who chooses to
respond to the questions below should email me directly.

My research involves erotic imagery in mainstream motion
pictures.  In particular, I am trying to understand what I
call the "invisible penis" phenomenon.  Films have been
depicting full female nudity at least since Hedy Lamarr's
appearance in ECSTASY (1933), but in the 1990s the sight
of male frontal nudity is still a rarity on screen.  In an
effort to better understand our cultural taboos, as well as
similarities and differences between what men and women
want to see (and what they want to remain unseen), I ask the
following...

1. Have you ever felt uncomfortable viewing a movie with a
   date because of the way nudity was handled in a
   particular scene?  If so, please describe the causes
   of the discomfort.

2. What, if any, general types of images in motion pictures
   do you find erotic?

3. How do you think your perception of the erotic image
   differs from what members of the opposite sex find
   erotic?

4. Describe what you would call "tasteful female nudity,"
   and then "tasteful male nudity."

5. Do you recall the first time you saw a man's penis in
   a mainstream movie (any film other than an "adult
   video") and if so, do you remember what you thought
   and felt at the time?

6. Have you ever seen an uncircumcised penis in a
   mainstream film?

7. Do you think your own feelings about seeing nudity
   on the screen have evolved as you've gotten older
   or more educated?  How?

8. Please indicate whether you are ____female ____male

Thanks in advance to those of you who take the time to
answer the questions.  Please direct your responses to
my email address.

Brad Chisholm, Associate Professor
Department of Theatre & Film Studies
St. Cloud State University