You might try looking at RLG's Reach website for information and links for
several existing standards (http://www.rlg.org/reach.html).

Also, MCN (Museum Computer Network)'s website has some information and
links re: standards (http://world.std.com/~mcn/standards/).

Some are looking to bridge the gap between museum and library standards.
The above links ought to give you plenty to review on this and related
topics. Good luck.

Mary W. Elings                        University of California
Pictorial Archivist                         Berkeley, CA 94720
The Bancroft Library                           Ph 510-642-8170
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu                    Fx 510-642-7589