----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Dear colleagues My name is Josephine Andersen and I am the librarian of the South African National Gallery Library. The SANG Library is one of the best if not the best art library in the = country (there are only about 6 of any note, including university and college libraries). Dating from the beginning of the 20th century it is a national heritage for all students of the visual arts. The SANG library is a = reference library but is open to all students of visual art and because of its nature = of being a special and reference library it holds and protects in its keeping = art information resources for the nation. I was asked in March this year to cancel all journal subscriptions and told = that there is no money for buying any more books. This situation means that the library can no longer help students except = with information from the past. In order to inform educate and inspire people in = the field, it is necessary to continually replenish the knowledge we have in libraries and resource centres. The SANG library is trying to maintain its Exchange programme through funds generated by the library and will be grateful for any assistance from colleagues. I have spent the last three months trying to find sponsors for maintaining = some of the journal titles to many of which the library has subscribed since = their inception. So far I have managed to find sponsors for only 11of the 78 = crucial journals, for the next year and we have raised some money from a book sale = held in May this year (with books donated by the Friends of the SANG). Some money= has been donated by the Friends of the Gallery and a business organisation but = we still need help in the form of donations, books and journals. I would be grateful for any assistance. Yours sincerely Josephine Andersen South African National Gallery P O box 2420 Cape Town 8000