----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Dear ARLIS experts, Don't laugh - we are trying to identify a painting without an artist or title. It may actually be possible to do this because the painting seems to be but one of several copies of the same subject. It hangs in one of our historic homes in St. Louis (Campbell House), and has been there since the late 19th century. The curator of the house believes that it may have been a popular scene that was duplicated many times for wealthy travelers. He knows of at least 3 other copies of the same scene, one in Brazil. I am hoping that one of you might recognize the painting from a description, or be able to steer me in the right direction. A young woman is sitting(on a rock?) in the right foreground. Mountain peaks rise in the background. She is staring somewhat blankly to her right (her gaze would fall outside the picture space); her arms hang fairly limply at her side. She is wearing what looks to me to be early 19th century dress (perhaps central European national costume?), with a red kerchief around her dark hair. A young man stands to her right, bending toward her and gesturing with both arms (one toward her, one pointing outside the painting about where she is looking), and looking at her. He is wearing boots, knee-pants, a jacket and a hat, and has a hurdy-gurdy strapped around his body. I would say he is intensely entreating her about something except that their faces are so mild and blank. The curator of the historic house believes the style to be the Dusseldorf school, and I certanly can t disagree. The landscape, light, costume and general romantic feel of the painting would fit with that school. It is in an elaborate carved and gilded frame and measures 67.5 inches high by 48.5 inches wide. Any suggestions or guidance at all will be gratefully received... Suzy Frechette St. Louis Public Library [log in to unmask]