----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Hi: I've asked this of some of you already, but I'd like to get as much input as I can: I have a question for anyone who buys architecture books: Texas Tech is re-evaluating how much they allocate for each subject area, and the collection development librarian has asked me to come up with a number for how much money I think I need to buy architecture books each year (and assume that it increases with inflation). I've only been in this job a year, and have spent most of it playing catch up; trying get them to give me as much money as I could to bring the collection to where I think it needs to be, which has meant buying a lot of basic books, and a lot of out-of-print stuff, so I don't have a very good feel for how much maintaining a decent architecture collection would cost. I'd like to be able to go back to the coll. dev. librarian with more than just "I think x amount" without really being able to back it up. The money would not be used to buy serials (which comes out of another fund), or interior design (there's also a different fund for that) and only some urban planning (that's split with another fund). So, if any of you can give me an estimate and an explanation of your ideal amount for buying architecture each year, I'd really appreciate it. Please respond to me directly- Karen DeWitt Architecture Librarian phone (806)742-8058 Texas Tech University fax (806) 742-2855 Architecture Library e-mail: [log in to unmask] Mail Stop 2091 Lubbock, TX 79409-2091