My name is Donald Smith.  About four years ago, I began to compile a
bibliography of sources of information on twentieth century American
printmakers and their prints.  A good reference on American printmakers would
be of utility to librarians and researchers, and I believe that work on it
falls within the ARLIS mission and current goals.  This compilation is
obviously a huge undertaking.  Untold thousands of printmakers scattered
through the country produced worthwhile graphic art over the course of this
century.  Many are well-known and their work well-documented, but most are
not.  As a rule of thumb, any artist whose fine prints--lithographs, etchings,
other types of intaglio prints, woodcuts, linoleum cuts, and silkscreens or
serigraphs--have been sold, collected, or written about is a candidate for
inclusion.  Sources of information include catalogues raisonnes; checklists of
prints; articles from serials; selected exhibition catalogs and brochures;
issuances of print societies; publications by print dealers and print
workshops; and dissertations and theses.  To date my efforts have been focused
in Washington, DC at the National Museum of American Art/National Portrait
Gallery Library.  The entries I have gathered now number about ten thousand
and fill four hundred pages.  The next step is to search at other libraries in
Washington, DC and to contact other  art libraries in order to cover the many
highly competent printmakers about whom only a limited amount has been written
or which has received only limited circulation.  If your library has written
materials on printmakers, especially from your region or area, which would fit
into this bibliography, please get in touch with me.  My address is 5431 39th
Street NW, Washington, DC 20015.  My E-mail address is [log in to unmask]  My
telephone is (202) 363-2492.  My fax is (202) 363-5477.  If your library does
not have such information, but you know where such materials can be located, a
response would be greatly appreciated.  I will acknowledge all assistance in
the public bibliography.