----------------------------Original message---------------------------- > Cheryl, My last attempt to send the proposal for an "Ask ARLIS" session > follows. I was having a devil of a time, retreiving my original document and > forwarding it to you, so I'm starting from scratch! Here goes... > TITLE: Resource Centers in the Museum > > SUBMITTED BY: Carol Rusk, Coordinator of Technical Services/Cataloger, Art > Reference Library, Brooklyn Museum of Art, Brooklyn NY 11238 > phone 718/638-5000 x309 fax 718/638-5080 e-mail [log in to unmask] > PROPOSED SPONSORS: Museum Group FORMAT: ASK ARLIS (1.5 hours) > DESCRIPTION: Museums are being awarded grant money for making greater use o > technology in programming. For many institutions, this funding is received vi > various departments, i.e. Education and Public Programming, which are interest > in providing outreach to an audience with an ever-increasing need for > information. Libraries in these institutions, many of which are already > utilizing various forms of advanced technology for completing library function > like cataloging and reference, may be "out of the loop" when it comes to > participating in decisions about how these "Learning Centers" are conceived an > developed for public access. It is possible that outreach centers are equippe > with more advanced hardware, staffing and budgets than the library in the same > institution. 1. Can and should Libraries be involved in the proces of formulating what is contained in resource rooms/learning centers and how?2. Is the Resource room/learning center really just an outgrowth of the Library? 3. How can libraries defend their own need for staffing, acquisitions, networking, and growth in the midst of this newer development on the horizon? 4. How can libraries tap into the new source for funding programs that may be available to a greater public that they now serve? (A questionnaire should go out to members of the Museum Division to describe wha may be developing in their own institutions.)