Hello Marge:

If you know any law or newspaper librarians, ask them about a database
service
called AutoTrack. As a former newspaper librarian myself, I've used
AutoTrack
extensively to locate people that reporters wanted to talk to. You can do
a national search by last name in this database, and many records often
have a phone number and a dob
attached so you could narrow down all the people with that surname born
in 1953. Data comes from public sources and is derived from basic
credit report heading info. It's a subscriber only service, i.e., not
free on the internet. It's not fool proof, phone out of date, etc., but I've
had remarkable luck finding lost people with it.

Best wishes
Cathy Donaldson
Art Institute of Seattle