Dear Colleagues,

I have been investigating library/catalog automation systems for the last
year or so. Automation prices and library budgets being what they are, I
have also been pursuing the idea of forming a buying consortium with one or
more similar libraries in my area in order to be able to afford it.

My fellow potential consortium members and I are about to sit down and
formulate a consortium agreement/document outlining issues of
responsibilities, decision-making processes, etc. and are hoping not to
have to start from ground zero.

*****The question is:*****
Are there working consortiums of similarly sized institutions out there
that would be willing to send us copies of their agreement documentation?

To give you some idea about the scope of our potential consortium:
In this very small group (3, so far) of very small [art] museum libraries,
I am the only library that serves both a museum and a school. I have a
library of about 20,000 volumes and a client base of 500-700 FTE (museum
and art school staff, faculty, and students). I am, by far, the largest, in
terms of collections and clients and will likely be the host for the system
server.
As we now see it, this will be a "buying" consortium only--that is, we will
share the costs of software and server hardware and, perhaps, an IT
staff-person. We don't plan to share data or expand our facility use and
circulation policies beyond what we currently make available to visiting
scholars (the other members don't have the facilities to deal with my
students).

In addition to agreements, if any of you have advise, horror stories, or
other helpful information, please contact me (directly) at your earliest
convenience. All feedback is welcome.

Thanks, in advance,

Deborah L. Barlow
Head Librarian