----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Although we teach graphic design, the book arts and illustration, we don't collect children's books. We are fortunate to be located in a city where there are 2 significant collections -- the Osborne Collection of Early Children's Books and the Canadian Children's Book Centre. You might find it worthwhile to check out the following: - Canadian Children's Book Centre http://www3.sympatico.ca/ccbc/ - the Governor General's Literary Awards for children's Literature are listed on this site http://www3.sympatico.ca/ccbc/ggindex.htm with information on the following Canadian illustrators: Marie-Louise Gay, Kim LaFave, Robin Muller, Paul Morin, Joanne Fitzgerald, Ron Lightburn, Mireille Levert, Murray Kimber, Ludmila Zeman, Erric Beddows and Barbara Reid. Other illustrators are listed with their works under "Our Choice." - the Osborne Collection of Early Children's Books is at http://www.tpl.toronto.on.ca/osborne/home.htm From the above sites, follow links to the Children's Literature Web Guide (out of the University of Calgary) and The Looking Glass (a new children's literature web journal created by the Toronto Centre for the Study of Children's Literature). Here are a few reference books you might be able to locate.... - Treasures: Canadian children's book illustration. Toronto: Canadian Children's Book Centre, [1986]. - The CANSCAIP companion: a biographical record of Canadian children's authors, illustrators and performers. Markham, Ontario: Pembroke, c1994 [2nd edition] - Writing stories, making pictures: Biographies of 150 Canadian children's authors and illustrators. Toronto: Canadian Children's Book Centre, c1994. For selection criteria, I would look to national and international awards (such as the Caldecott) and to winners of competitions such as that held each year in Bologna -- You can also refer to relatively recent compilations such as Susan E. Meyer's A treasury of the great children's book illustrators (Abrams, 1983) and Steven Heller's Designing for children (Watson-Guptill, 1994). Jill Patrick Ontario College of Art & Design [log in to unmask] -----Original Message----- From: Marti Pike <[log in to unmask]> To: Multiple recipients of list ARLIS-L <[log in to unmask]> Date: Wednesday, May 20, 1998 3:01 PM Subject: Children's illustrated books >----------------------------Original message---------------------------- >------------------ >Colleagues: > >Does anyone collect children's books for graphic design programs? I know Evy at >Cal Arts does, but I'd like to hear from some of the rest of you, also. We are >starting an animation program, where these would be especially helpful. I took >several of the GD studio classes, so I have a good idea of the kind of visual >material students look for. I have now convinced the other librarians that this >might be a good pursuit. > >If you do collect these, what is your criteria? Is there a list of well-known >illustrators that should be considered? (Richard Scarry, Dr.Suess, etc.) Are >there other types of books we might consider? > >Any help would be appreciated. > >Thanks, >Marti Pike >Woodbury University Library >Burbank, CA 91510 >[log in to unmask] >