Marti,
I suggest collecting all the Caldicott and Newbury Award winners. I think there
book published with this information. We've just begun to start this process as
well. Children's librarians are the best source of info on this subject. BH Publ
for instance, has tons of reference books about children's books and their
illustrators.

Marti Pike wrote:

> ------------------
> Colleagues:
>
> Does anyone collect children's books for graphic design programs?  I know Evy
> Cal Arts does, but I'd like to hear from some of the rest of you, also.  We ar
> starting an animation program, where these would be especially helpful.  I too
> several of the GD studio classes, so I have a good idea of the kind of visual
> material students look for.  I have now convinced the other librarians that th
> might be a good pursuit.
>
> If you do collect these, what is your criteria?  Is there a list of well-known
> illustrators that should be considered?  (Richard Scarry, Dr.Suess, etc.)  Are
> there other types of books we might consider?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Marti Pike
> Woodbury University Library
> Burbank,  CA 91510

Sue Maberry, Director of Library
Otis College of Art & Design, 9045 Lincoln Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90045
310 665-6925
FAX: 310 665-6998
email: [log in to unmask]