Dear Jim,

I am the Architecture Librarian at Auburn University, and our library
encludes a slide library for the use of faculty and students. You should
concentrate on gaining information from public libraries with
this resource, as the type of user base, and their needs,  will
determine the mission of your slide library.

 We use our slides to
support the faculty  with images for use in classroom settings. The
students also study from the slides mounted on a wall lightboard, and we
digitize some slides for web based access also.
There is an enormous investment required in time, staff and
materials. Film, photography and processing fees, or the purchasing
of slide sets, are very expensive. Storage cabinets can be expensive
and are critical for the correct care and maintenance of the slides.
Light tables are useful tools for viewing the slides as well.
Any collection must be organised and cataloged to be useful to anyone.
Management of the collection can be a full time job if it is heavily used.

I would suggest a careful consideration of the real service you could
provide with a slide collection. Does the need justify the staff time
and effort, maintenance time and materials expense?
What funding are you using? Will it increase or dry up?
Without future expansion in the works, to assume
this project seems to be inviting eventual failure.

Plan carefully, build in stages, and be aware of the need for proper
care and maintenance if you start a slide collection in your library.
Several excellent books are out there on slide collection
management-commonly used is :

Slide Libraries: A Guide for Academic Institutions, Museums and
Special Collections
Betty Jo Irvine and P. Eileen Fry
Libraries Unlimited Inc
1979
 (second edition-maybe a more current one out there now)